Learning about some new features coming in Ecto 3.5 from Mike Binns. Mike explains Ecto.Enum, what a ParameterizedType is, the new “redact” option on fields and much more!
Elixir Community News
- http://blog.erlang.org/the-new-scalable-ets-ordered_set/ – Improvements in OTP 22 explained in more detail.
- https://elixir-lang.org/blog/categories.html#Cases – 2nd case study published on ElixirLang website features Nerves and farm.bot
- https://hex.pm/packages/site_encrypt – site_encrypt implements the Let’s Encrypt protocol for your Phoenix applications
Do you know some Elixir news we don’t? Tell us at @ThinkingElixir
- https://github.com/elixir-ecto/ecto/pull/3370 – ParameterizedType & Ecto.Enum
- https://github.com/elixir-ecto/ecto/pull/3385 – “redact” support
- https://github.com/elixir-ecto/ecto/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md – Ecto changelog showing 3.5 release changes
- Mike’s tips on contributing to an open source project:
- Go through the list of issues and try to reproduce it. If the ticket has enough information to reproduce, you can say, “Yes I’m still seeing this” or “No, I’m not seeing this.” Either is helpful to the maintainer.
- If not enough information to reproduce the issue, you can ask saying, “I want to try and reproduce this, what information do I need?” That’s going to help the maintainer who hasn’t yet asked the question to get more information from the user.
- Can give thoughts on feature requests.
- See an issue you’d like to take on? You can jump in and create a PR for addressing it.
- https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hunter2 – Understanding the “hunter2” reference
- https://github.com/TheFirstAvenger/kinext – XBOX 360 Kinect with LiveView integration – what will you do with it?
- https://twitter.com/1stAvenger – Mike Binns on Twitter
- https://github.com/thefirstavenger – Mike Binns on Github
- https://dockyard.com/blog/authors/mike-binns – Mike’s blog posts
Find us online
- Message the show – @ThinkingElixir
- Mark Ericksen – @brainlid
- David Bernheisel – @bernheisel
- Cade Ward – Github