We talk with Ricardo Trindade about learning Elixir and GraphQL. We discuss learning on personal interest projects, GraphQL vs REST, executing Ruby or Python from Elixir, helpful learning resources and much more!
Elixir Community News
- https://github.com/msaraiva/surface – The Surface Library recently proposed scoped CSS
- https://twitter.com/pressy4pie/status/1281409111108669440 – Conner and Frank were able to spike up a Flutter UI on top of Nerves
- Lots of small project updates
- https://changelog.com/podcast/402 – Jose Valim was interviewed on the Changelog podcast episode #402
- Elixir master updated: Calendar module; added
is_exceptionguard which builds upon the
is_structguard recently added.
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/pull/10157 – Elixir now pulls git dependencies by their default branch instead of assuming the master branch, if the branch is not specified.
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md – The proposed
runtime.exsfile change was merged.
- https://sorentwo.com/2020/06/12/announcing-oban-pro.html – Oban 2.0 and the Introduction of Oban Web+Pro
- https://elixirsurvey.typeform.com/to/yYmJv1 – Reminder to fill out the Elixir ecosystem survey! Open until August 11th.
Do you know some Elixir news we don’t? Tell us at @ThinkingElixir
- https://email@example.com/building-an-animal-crossing-new-horizons-graphql-api-in-elixir-c304cef7ad30 – Ricardo’s blog post about building a GraphQL API
- https://animal-crossing.com/new-horizons/ – The Nintendo Switch game being discussed
- https://graphql-code-generator.com/ – Tool for building GraphQL frontend client code
- https://www.udemy.com/course/the-complete-elixir-and-phoenix-bootcamp-and-tutorial/ – Udemy training course
- https://github.com/route/mogrify – Elixir wrapper for ImageMagick command line
- http://erlport.org/ – ErlPort – connect Erlang to other languages
- https://github.com/hdima/erlport – ErlPort – on Github
- https://github.com/weatherforce/erlport – ErlPort fork Mark is using
- https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/mix-otp/docs-tests-and-with.html – Elixir doctest feature
- https://pragprog.com/titles/tvmelixir/ – Book: Adopting Elixir
- https://book.productionreadygraphql.com/ – Book: Production Ready GraphQL
Learning Elixir? Pattern matching is a big foundational piece. This FREE course helps you get that “super power” feeling and helps you “get it” faster and more completely. I’m giving this away because I want everyone to have access to it.
Find us online
- Message the show – @ThinkingElixir
- Mark Ericksen – @brainlid
- David Bernheisel – @bernheisel
- Cade Ward – Github