News from episode #18.
New Elixir case study with Discord
- They have crossed more than 12 million concurrent users across all servers, with more than 26 million WebSocket events to clients per second
- Discord runs a cluster with 400-500 Elixir machines maintained by 5 engineers.
- Discord used Rust to create a new type in Elixir, called OrderedSet. https://blog.discord.com/using-rust-to-scale-elixir-for-11-million-concurrent-users-c6f19fc029d3
Code Beam Virtual 2020 videos
- Can see some keynotes and several other sessions as well
Oban v2.2.0 released
- Dynamic Ecto repo support
New feature coming to IEx
- Press tab after the open parentheses in a function to see its definition; useful for when you don’t remember the order of the arguments
Ecto 3.5 point releases
- Since Ecto 3.5 was released, there have been 2 point releases fixing issues and adding features. If you’re already on 3.5, make sure you update to get the fixes
- Adds Repo.reload
- Allow belongs_to to accept options for parameterized types
Parent library 0.11.0 released
- Saša Jurić released his library Parent 0.11.0
- Parent is a toolkit for building processes which parent other children and manage their life cycles. The library provides features similar to Supervisor, such as the support for automatic restarts and failure escalation (maximum restart intensity), with some additional benefits that can help flattening the supervision tree, reduce the amount of custom process monitors, and simplify the process structure.